single install failure leads to permanent failure even after reinstalls, due to DB recovery
This is a very dangerous situation and the reason i am not too fond od the DB backup/recovery mechanism we have now:
- user installs app (case in point, Mantis)
- install fails in some way that does not prevent the app from being created
- user sees some error/issue with the app and unistalls
- the app db gets saved (in /var/hda/dbs/ ... it so happens that the DB is bad)
- the user installs the app
- the install script realizes there is a db saved and recovers it automatically
- app is installed, with a broken db
no amount of install/uninstall will ever fix this.
this is a three-way bad situation: unhappy user, app not working and user will require being handheld through a fix with ssh
we need a better way to recover the db.
#1 Updated by bigfoot65 almost 8 years ago
App should have option to back/restore DB as a check box in dashboard. Could be global or per app if it's not too complicated to add.
Another option would be to not script the restore and let user do it manually as needed. Maybe we should make the DB back up folder a share by default.
Also available in: Atom