Project

General

Profile

Bug #1415

building the libvlc library

Added by cpg about 8 years ago. Updated about 8 years ago.

Status:
Closed
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
-
Category:
-
Target version:
-
Start date:
06/09/2014
Due date:
% Done:

0%


Description

one of the things we want to achieve is reproducibility in building the libvlc library. today we built a version that looked like it was working but showed a black screen. we don't know why and we don't know what the older build that works has/had.

my original suggestion was to release it internally as a jar. with a version number. example libvlc-amahi-0.1.jar
if we have to release it as a maven repo, that's fine, but it seems a jar is a common way to go in the android/java world.

for each new libvlc-amahi version, we need to keep the following information:

- the commit id of the libvlc
- the commit id of the ming13/libvlc-android (better yet, let's move this to amahi/libvlc-android)
- any notes or changes, as well as possible issues that the build has, either known going in or as we find out

I propose we keep these builds and the readme in a dropbox folder i shared. we can make the build and readme public as well.

History

#1 Updated by ming about 8 years ago

LibVLC works fine for me. Versioning is already in place and I believe that no internal versions should be used at all. The version is peeked based on official Git tags for versions. Again, upstream version == build version, thats it. You can modify used version at the maven.properties. About packaging. FYI Android uses AAR, not JAR for kind of native packaging. As I mentioned using packages and putting 7 MB file into the repo is a bad idea.

#2 Updated by megabitdragon about 8 years ago

Can you please put the archived maven in the folder Carlos wanted it and just write the tag it was build on in the Readme file. While we are not planning to rebuild VLC with every update they push, we might rebuild it every now and then and if something brakes we should know what was the latest working tag that we used. Thank you. I build it last night using your repo and while everything was working the screen was black.

#3 Updated by ming about 8 years ago

And here we go fixing bugs that are not High ;-) The version is pointed at the maven.properties, but I can mention it at the readme. I’ll better rebuild and try it again, VLC released 0.9.4 a couple of hours ago.

#4 Updated by megabitdragon about 8 years ago

You don't need to do it right now. Red bugs go first as we discussed. I was wondering when are you going to bring this up. :-)
There might be a lot of activity on the tracker but the focus should be on the red ones.

Thanks again for understanding and good work with everything.

#5 Updated by ming about 8 years ago

Here we go, I built it. Works fine for me on ARM. AVI compatibility wasn’t tested.

I suggest to remove all maven-* and start from clean slate. Hopefully we will have no need in applying more our custom patches. In that way if something changes it will be better to name packages as package versions like Linux distros do—0.9.4-3 for example. It will give more context.

#6 Updated by megabitdragon about 8 years ago

  • Status changed from New to Closed

Also available in: Atom