Update troubleshooter to incorporate amahi 8 troubleshooting
should be similar to amahi 7.
we just need to de-emphasize the others because it's too confusing to users.
#1 Updated by cpg about 6 years ago
- Priority changed from Medium to High
we missed you the other day. we really need an update on the troubleshooter for amahi 8.
plus this is not working well. it creates more confused users. they sometimes run the ubuntu one, with disastrous results, sometimes they run the commands in windows boxes, etc.
i am inclined to just make a web page for troubleshooting in the wiki and decomission the amahi.net site.
i understand it may be hard to maintain? so we should not be expanding but cleaning up.
#2 Updated by ajachimiak about 6 years ago
Ahh - Able to log in now...
First - I see that the Other versions (6 -Ubuntu, 7-Fedora) are now unsupported (according to the docs page).
Perhaps just one troubleshooter? My inclination is to use the Amahi7-Fedora troubleshooter as the Amahi 8 troubleshooter.
2nd - Is there artwork that goes with Amahi 8? Or Perhaps if we go to one troubleshooter Just use one of the generic icons?
3rd - Confusion. Is the Troubleshooter confusing, or are the errors related to new folks that are unfamiliar with ssh? My worry here is that in decommissioning the troubleshooter, you will end up with a ton of thick text that no one will read.
4th - Removing the amahi.net site... I think the main purpose of this site was to help identify incorrect dns/dhcp setups. Would there be a new way to help identify these issues?
#3 Updated by cpg about 6 years ago
- amahi 8 artwork: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/364883/Amahi/Amahi%208%20Facebook%20Cover.psd.bz2
- basing the amahi 8 troubleshooter in amahi 7 is ok to get started. we will have to tweak it, based on testing.
- people get confused on basic things. just because amahi 6 is the same size as amahi 7 and it's on the right, people click on it more. people do not know what amahi version they have (and they should not care that much, to be honest). so i think the a6 and a7 troubleshooters should be smaller and lower in the page or something and a8 bigger and centered
- we just need to make this easier to maintain or something. people do come to the IRC very confused and with bad troubleshooter commands entered and linked to
#4 Updated by ajachimiak about 6 years ago
- Subject changed from update troubleshooter to incorporate amahi 8 troubleshooting to Updated -
I've committed to master only at this time.
Let me know if you want me to push to gh-pages.Changes:
- Link to Troubleshooter goes directly to the Interactive Amahi 8 troubleshooter
- You can navigate to the different versions on the actual Troubleshooter page
- push to gh-pages
- test troubleshooter against amahi8 install and update if necessary
#6 Updated by cpg about 6 years ago
- Status changed from Feedback to Assigned
- Assignee changed from cpg to ajachimiak
this drop down menu at the top is a little confusing. It seems to show three entries, plus the one selected, so a total of 4. it seems like this is really 3 entries?
if so, it should not show 4.
if not, then what is the difference between Amahi 8 and Amahi 8 Interactive?
would it be hard to pre-fill the step 3 with at least the 3 first parts of the IP?
this step 4 is not correct since amahi 6 and finally we found some of the confusion!
this is the text that belongs there (both for Amahi 7 and 8):
su -(enter the root password) fpaste --sysinfo nslookup hda cat /etc/resolv.conf ip addr systemctl status dnsmasq netstat -an | grep :53
4) could we ask users to use fpaste instead ob ubuntu pastebin?
5) also, i just added fpaste --sysinfo at the top, just to make sure we have most things we might need
#10 Updated by ajachimiak about 6 years ago
question -- did the artwork go away, or did i miss it?
I removed the step that used artwork... so not needed at this time.
1)this drop down menu at the top is a little confusing. It seems to show three entries, plus the one selected, so a total of 4. it seems like this is really 3 entries?...then what is the difference between Amahi 8 and Amahi 8 Interactive?
The Bootstrap Dropdown looks like a bare select element. The selected index will always remain at the top and the three options will also show when clicked.
I see how 'Interactive" can be confusing. I have removed it from the button text and the modal text.
Let's get the interaction settled first before moving onto other updates. :-)
- fpaste.com should work
- I still need to get a test system up and running
- I'll fix the bad commands
- I'll look into the prefill for step three
Changes pushed to master @github.
#12 Updated by ajachimiak almost 6 years ago
I'll look into the prefill for step three
While many folks have x.x.x.1 as an internal router ip address, I don't think we can assume this is the case.
I've committed the correct commands for the Fedora versions and updated the pastebin to fpaste in all cases.
Also available in: Atom