Project

General

Profile

Bug #2242

Remote VPN connection not using updated dynamic DNS IP address

Added by bigfoot65 over 2 years ago. Updated over 2 years ago.

Status:
Closed
Priority:
High
Assignee:
Target version:
-
Start date:
05/12/2017
Due date:
% Done:

0%


Description

From user Camperdownfamily:

Running Amahi 9 on Fedora 23. I have OpenVPN Server running and going to the Ahami.org page for my HDA I can run the OpenVPN Connection Tester and it turns green, shown connections should be possible. Clicking on the Alerts button on the same page shows that my ISP has issued me with new IP addresses a number of times over the past few weeks, the most recent one being just over 24 hours ago, and the one before that was 2 days ago.

Running HDAConnect on my laptop from work (as I usually do most days) I normally have no problems accessing my home network, and didn't as recently as yesterday, however, today the log shows the following and then just stops:

Fri May 12 17:39:13 2017 OpenVPN 2.1_rc15 i686-pc-mingw32 [SSL] [LZO2] [PKCS11] built on Nov 19 2008
Fri May 12 17:39:13 2017 WARNING: No server certificate verification method has been enabled. See http://openvpn.net/howto.html#mitm for more info.
Fri May 12 17:39:13 2017 NOTE: OpenVPN 2.1 requires '--script-security 2' or higher to call user-defined scripts or executables
Fri May 12 17:39:13 2017 LZO compression initialized
Fri May 12 17:39:13 2017 Control Channel MTU parms [ L:1542 D:138 EF:38 EB:0 ET:0 EL:0 ]
Fri May 12 17:39:14 2017 Data Channel MTU parms [ L:1542 D:1450 EF:42 EB:135 ET:0 EL:0 AF:3/1 ]
Fri May 12 17:39:14 2017 Local Options hash (VER=V4): '41690919'
Fri May 12 17:39:14 2017 Expected Remote Options hash (VER=V4): '530fdded'
Fri May 12 17:39:14 2017 Socket Buffers: R=[8192->8192] S=[8192->8192]
Fri May 12 17:39:14 2017 UDPv4 link local: [undef]
Fri May 12 17:39:14 2017 UDPv4 link remote: 86.162.160.118:1194

The IP address being shown in the last line is the IP address my ISP allocated me two days ago, and not the more recent one which was allocated just over 24 hours ago. For some reason HDAConnect is either not updating itself from the Amahi.org site, or alternatively the site is giving HDAConnect the wrong IP address.

I have tried rebooting my laptop incase there was a problem internally, but that has not made any difference. There were a number of Microsoft patches which were installed on the laptop yesterday, so it is just possible one of those has messed something, but unfortunately I am not sufficiently knowledgeable to know where to start looking to work out whats wrong.

History

#1 Updated by cpg over 2 years ago

  • Status changed from New to Assigned
  • Assignee set to cpg

I think the dyndns system is leaking data somehow. Looking into it.

#2 Updated by cpg over 2 years ago

  • Priority changed from Normal to High

#3 Updated by cpg over 2 years ago

  • Subject changed from Remote VPN Connection using Old IP Address to Remote VPN connection not using updated dynamic DNS IP address
  • Status changed from Assigned to Closed

This has been resolved now and the fix has been done in amahi.org.

However, it may take up to 20 minutes for the client in the HDA to update and the DNS address to update.

Please reopen if you still have issues related to dynamic dns.

Also available in: Atom