experience transitioning to ipv6
due to an unrelated topic, i needed to get my network enabled for ipv6, so i installed a new router setup because my old router did not support ipv6.
i figure we will see more and more people like that, so i will document my experience here.
i kept my ipv4 settings the same. my router did pick up the ipv6 settings from the ISP. i rebooted my HDA and restarted the network on my client (a mac).
i did override the DNSv6 settings from my ISP to use Google's public DNS (2001:4860:4860::8888 and 8844)
The end result is that my client (mac os x) picks up my HDA for ipv4 dns, but also the upstream dns server,
domain amahi.net nameserver 2001:4860:4860::8888 nameserver 2001:4860:4860::8844 nameserver 192.168.32.10 nameserver 192.168.32.10
this basically means that the "hda" dns (hence the dashboard) and for some reason even samba shares (which do not use DNS) are not accessible.
#3 Updated by cpg almost 3 years ago
this is not ideal because 1) involves manual changes in the router and 2) involves having to find out the IPv6 of the main interface of the HDA.
one possibility is to register our own IPv6 range somehow and select it for the users. or have a way to find out. but still, having the DNSv6 setup in the router is a party pooper.
Also available in: Atom