An idea to fix app installation progress bug
This refers to the problem where app installation progress used to run indefinitely. As narrowed down by cpg earlier, the problem was primarily happening because the app server used to restart and we got the Internal Server Error.
A possible solution to that is to use an in memory storage like redis and store the install progress in that. But again redis will come with another baggage of changes into other modules like hda-ctl and hda-platform.
The idea is this:
- When app installation starts : check if redis is running or not. If redis is not running, download redis using docker and run it with correct restart policy so that docker ensures that it is always running.
- From then on keep pushing the app progress into redis.
- On the client side we have to do modifications to pick the data from redis server instead of the current method
- Works seamlessly with upgrades. As users upgrade, as and when they try to install their first application a redis container gets installed and starts running in their system. (Redis image is 7MB)
- It's easier to implement (according to me)
- The first app installation might cause a problem similar to what we have now but I'm sure we can have a workaround for that.
Also available in: Atom