IP address for HDA keeps jumping - new install Amahi 11
After Amahi 10 suddenly decided not to let me go into the dashboard any more (why? I did nothing to you!) I bit the bullet and did a clean install of Amahi 11. Network/Internet connectivity was a bit flakey, but I managed to get it going and add my data disks manually - that wasn't flagged in advance, was it! Anyway, all working. Installed Plex and OpenVPN. Suddenly all network connectivity was gone; the router could see the Internet, but after an ip renewal, I lost my connection to everything! Eventually I used the rescue start of Amahi 11 and the network came back.
according to the router home page, my HDA keeps changing from 192.168.0.80 to 192.168.0.125. Why on earth!? Plex works (permanently on 80). OpenVPN doesn't (whether I set forwarding to 80 or 125). Amahi Anywhere does work.
I have the DNS Alias in advanced setting for the hda as 80. The control panel has it as 80. I've set the dynamic IP range to 20-254. Obviously the DHCP server on the router is disabled.
What's going on?
Can't work out how to get the Common Logs out for you, but here's paste.fedoraproject.org/paste/IFLizfuUI07FN3w-4u28-g
#4 Updated by cpg about 1 month ago
It looks like there are a lot of network interfaces. Some of them are physical, some are virtual, like the docker one and tun one.
It seems to me that those (which ones, I'm not sure) may have software associated that has a DHCP client running on them. This explains why some of the IPs associated could be getting DHCP addresses.
What other software or apps did you install?
PS: next time please avoid images and use text using the pre directive here.
#5 Updated by CurlyLizard about 1 month ago
The mystery is that under Amahi 10, the system was running perfectly, with the IP address steady as a rock on .80, and with Plex and OpenVPN installed, and OpenVPN working.
The server is a ProLiant, with a separate interface to my Windows computer on IP .60 - that hasn't changed.
I haven't intentionally installed anything with docker or tun, whatever that is.
The problems started after installing Plex and OpenVPN from your apps page, not manually. Since then I have installed:
access logs (trying to output logs for the bug-tracker, failed!)
server logs viewer (ditto)
HDA Troubleshooting Tools (in case needed, haven't touched them)
#6 Updated by CurlyLizard about 1 month ago
Update - I went away for a few days and after about 24 hours lost remote connection to the server. On returning I discovered that all networking had stopped working, I had to reset the router again to access the network and internet, and get everything working once more. I also uninstalled and reinstalled Plex for good measure. DHCP is off on the router, and DNS is handled by the HDA, as per settings. Plex can now only be accessed by using the IP directly and not at all by plexms.home.com, as previously. The hda oscillates between 192.168.0.80 and 192.168.0.140 now.
#7 Updated by CurlyLizard 19 days ago
I'm guessing there's no clue about this? I'm still unable connect remotely via OpenVPN ("waiting for server reply"); nothing appears in a remote browser when I use its yourhda.com address; internally I can't get to plex or any app via their home.com addresses, only via IP addresses. Otherwise it works. Just not as well as it used to under Amahi 10.
It's hard to tell without more debugging details ..
Can you somehow disable all other networking devices??
I don't recall having seen before a system with so many extraneous network devices. Maybe newer OS versions try too hard to use those other devices somehow and confusion ensues ..
#9 Updated by CurlyLizard 19 days ago
I understand it's hard, and all the more so remotely! My hardware setup hasn't changed, though. Basically I have a cable modem into a router, which then leads to a managed switch. The switch takes lines into the server (it's an HPE server, with two connections and IP addresses, one for direct admin and one for the actual server); otherwise clients include a powerline adaptor, wired connection to main PC and cable TV (Tivo) box; otherwise wireless connections to the usual clients (laptops, tablets, phones, Chromecast). So I'm not sure what extraneous networking devices there could be. Could there perhaps be some settings in the switch I need to change? I'll be honest, I don't really understand most of the switch settings...
#10 Updated by CurlyLizard 19 days ago
One more update. Reinstalled OpenVPN server and also client, and that's now working! So it's just the IP address jumps (if it's working, don't care about those) and the inability to access any apps via home.com addresses. Most informative (and slightly sad) browser error message is from Firefox: "Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete."
#12 Updated by CurlyLizard 12 days ago
Sadly not stable. Amahi brought down the network again in the middle of the night - dns/dhcp servers cut everything off again, and nothing reachable via ping from amahi itself. Once again the only solution is to plug the router into the main PC, factory reset it and set it up again; restart the server, test that it's again administering the network, switch off dhcp on the router and we're back. But again, the home.com addresses aren't working and OpenVPN isn't either. Reinstalling OpenVPN hasn't worked yet. This is slowly getting tiresome.
Also available in: Atom