Project

General

Profile

Bug #931

Static IP Address

Added by smccloud almost 8 years ago. Updated over 7 years ago.

Status:
Assigned
Priority:
High
Assignee:
Category:
platform
Target version:
-
Start date:
06/26/2012
Due date:
% Done:

0%


Description

Currently, assigning a static IP to a MAC address isn't working. It still gets an IP from the normal DHCP pool.

6-28-2012_15-01-56.png View (56.6 KB) smccloud, 06/28/2012 01:04 PM

pbx_info.png View (18.2 KB) smccloud, 07/09/2012 03:10 PM

hda_static.png View (9.64 KB) smccloud, 07/09/2012 03:10 PM

History

#1 Updated by smccloud almost 8 years ago

  • Priority changed from Normal to High

#2 Updated by smccloud almost 8 years ago

  • Category set to platform

#3 Updated by smccloud almost 8 years ago

  • Assignee set to eFfeM

#4 Updated by bigfoot65 almost 8 years ago

  • Assignee deleted (eFfeM)

cpg will determine as bugs are racked and stacked.

#5 Updated by eFfeM almost 8 years ago

smccloud can you clarify the problem?

Is your hda not getting a static IP or is this a client.
For me the hda always gives the static IP that is entered on amahi.org (that is the host part, the network part seems to change with the net number).
not sure if I have ever seen this (at least not last half year or so, and I did a fair amount of installs).

Or is this for HDA clients. In that case it is more of a problem at the client side?

Can you explain in more detail and/or give steps how you got there?

#6 Updated by eFfeM almost 8 years ago

some more questions:

do you get a /etc/network/interfaces with a static ip?
(or put up this file somewhere for inspection).
this file is generated by hdactl

mine is owned by root, mode 644 content:
  1. Generated by hdactl on 2012-06-24 22:08:23 / 3
    auto lo eth0

iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.123.14
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.123.1
dns-nameservers 192.168.123.14
dns-search home.com

Is this on server or desktop (I assume it is on 12.04)
32 or 64 bit?

#7 Updated by smccloud almost 8 years ago

eFfeM wrote:

smccloud can you clarify the problem?

Is your hda not getting a static IP or is this a client.
For me the hda always gives the static IP that is entered on amahi.org (that is the host part, the network part seems to change with the net number).
not sure if I have ever seen this (at least not last half year or so, and I did a fair amount of installs).

Or is this for HDA clients. In that case it is more of a problem at the client side?

Can you explain in more detail and/or give steps how you got there?

Sorry for not being more specific. Its clients not getting a statically assigned IP via DHCP. Please see the attached file for what I mean (on how I set it up). Not sure its related, but my DHCP lease list is always empty.

Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 64-bit (I end up needing the GUI for remote stuff every once and a while).

#8 Updated by bigfoot65 almost 8 years ago

Not sure if what I am seeing is the same thing. Adding new devices to my network yields a DHCP lease, but it does not display in the dashboard. I have to manually check the device, then add the info to static IP area to get it to show.

I added a VM today and it was assigned DHCP lease 123, but the Dashboard displaying nothing. So I then added a static IP for that device and refreshed the device to get the new static IP. There seems to be something amiss with DHCP leases showing in the dashboard.

I have the latest install of Ubuntu I believe, so not sure where to begin looking.

#9 Updated by cpg almost 8 years ago

  • Status changed from New to Assigned
  • Assignee set to cpg
  • Priority changed from High to Medium

it appears the path to the leases file was incorrect.

#10 Updated by cpg almost 8 years ago

  • Status changed from Assigned to Feedback

We have released an update that should fix this problem. Please update (or let it update automatically in a few hours) and see it works now.

Putting it in feedback. If it works, please close. If not please set it to assigned to me.

#11 Updated by bigfoot65 almost 8 years ago

Now that the DHCP leases show, then never seem to go away. I have 4 leases that certainly have expired by now, but still showing. The are listed as inactive as well.

Is the dhcp lease time not working or is there another reason these are still showing in the dashboard.

#12 Updated by bigfoot65 almost 8 years ago

It seems this may not be a bug. According to research, the leases file is periodically regenerated ([[http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/intrepid/man5/dhcpd.leases.5.html]]). Not sure how often this occurs as periodic is not defined.

#13 Updated by smccloud almost 8 years ago

cpg wrote:

We have released an update that should fix this problem. Please update (or let it update automatically in a few hours) and see it works now.

Putting it in feedback. If it works, please close. If not please set it to assigned to me.

Updated my HDA and put a new static IP in for my PBX. Then logged into the PBX and told it to use DHCP instead of a static IP. It got an IP of 172.16.6.112 instead of 172.16.6.8 like I gave it for a static IP.

Please see attached screenshots for the info from my HDA & DHCP client.

#14 Updated by smccloud almost 8 years ago

  • Status changed from Feedback to Assigned

#15 Updated by cpg almost 8 years ago

the dhcp server has a large lag some times. did you wait long (sounds like you did not). a reboot might help.

could you try that?

#16 Updated by smccloud almost 8 years ago

I did the following
  1. Set static IP in control panel
  2. Rebooted HDA
  3. Set PBX to use DHCP
  4. Rebooted PBX
  5. Saw that PBX still gets 172.16.6.112 and it shows up in the DHCP list as pbx.mccloud.local with this IP.

#17 Updated by bigfoot65 almost 8 years ago

This appears to not be fixed for displaying current DHCP leases. The dashboard reflects past inactive leases, but does not display new leases. However, the file in /var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd.leases file contains new leases.

More research is needed. We may need to code to parse this file and reset periodically in order to capture latest info.

#18 Updated by bigfoot65 almost 8 years ago

  • Priority changed from Medium to High

#19 Updated by eFfeM over 7 years ago

smccloud wrote:

cpg wrote:

We have released an update that should fix this problem. Please update (or let it update automatically in a few hours) and see it works now.

Putting it in feedback. If it works, please close. If not please set it to assigned to me.

Updated my HDA and put a new static IP in for my PBX. Then logged into the PBX and told it to use DHCP instead of a static IP. It got an IP of 172.16.6.112 instead of 172.16.6.8 like I gave it for a static IP.

What is your DHCP address range. Is .8 in it or does it e.g. start at 100.

This is something I cannot too easily test at the moment
dhcp also does not know about your static address (although your dhcp client may first try to get a preferred address, like the one from last time.

Also available in: Atom